In 1946, at the end of the Second World War, Ukrainian ex-patriot's within Great Britain founded the Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain ('the Association').
The Association was founded to promote and support the interests of the Ukrainian Community within the UK and is currently the largest representative body for Ukrainians and those of Ukrainian descent.
The Huddersfield Branch of the Association formed in 1948, meeting initially at Lindley Liberal Club. It is estimated that there were 250 Ukrainian exiles in Huddersfield, many exiled not only from their oppressed homeland, but also from their families, yet they chose to sacrifice in order to live in a free country.
In 1956, the Association, now with approximately 170 members purchased their first premises within Huddersfield, a large house in Trinity Street.
The Association was not just a social organisation, but also 'a registered mutual aid and benefits organisation for all Ukrainians in Great Britain based on self-reliance and fraternal co-operation.'